Fumukaba

Promoting the Development of Communities through Access to Energy in Guinea-Bissau

The Fumukaba Project was created to promote the replacement of charcoal and firewood with butane gas for food preparation in households in Guinea-Bissau. Initiated in April 2018, the programme has a duration of 24 months and is built around the sustainable development goals (SDGs) which guides the Galp Foundation’s mission. The project will impact more than 25,000 households in Bissau’s neighbourhoods (around 50% of families living in the region) and will contribute to:

  • The use of cleaner energy inside homes, with a major impact on health, particularly that of women and children;
     
  • The introduction of safe and positive technology in the time available for children's school activities and women's participation in community life;
     
  • Creating new commercial and small business opportunities;
     
  • The promotion of female entrepreneurship;
     
  • Reduction of forest devastation in Guinea-Bissau.

 

Indicators

+ 25,000 families in the Region of Bissau

+ 220,000 inhabitants

+ 100 thousand hectares of deforestation avoided

+ 530 thousand t CO2 avoided

+ Project - 24 months

The challenge of Sustainable Energy in Guinea-Bissau

In Guinea-Bissau, about 95% of the resident population uses wood and charcoal for cooking and other energy needs because of the low production of electricity and almost no supply and regular use of butane gas, both in urban as well as in rural areas. This excessive use of charcoal and firewood impact negatively on the environment and living standards. It is therefore necessary to adopt assertive measures to reverse the situation.

FUMUKABA was born with the aim of promoting energy transition in Guinea-Bissau and encouraging the community to adopt cleaner energy solutions, in particular, in the outskirts of Bissau where families with less financial capacity live and the price of coal is higher. Fumukaba also aims at the adoption of a solution that allows the country to preserve the forest by stimulating the increasing use of butane gas as an alternative to the traditional use of coal.

Although the many advantages of butane gas are recognized, most families cannot afford the initial investment in the stove, accessories, bottle deposit and first gas charge. This being the biggest barrier to its adoption, families will be offered a Kit consisting of a stove, a burner and a 6kg bottle of butane gas, leaving only the cost of the bottle (11,500 CFA). Later, when the bottle is returned, the money is reclaimed.

The price of bottled gas - regulated by the government of Guinea Bissau - is competitive against the cost of a quality bag of coal in Bissau, allowing for continued gas use.

The project has set a goal of reaching some 25,000 Bissau households (approximately 220,000 inhabitants). Among these, 100 families will be subject to a regular follow-up process throughout the project, so that the impacts of Fumukaba are monitored.

Project Partners

The project is supported and funded by the European Union and the GALP Foundation and developed under the "Covenant of Mayors for Sub-Saharan Africa - Phase II" programme. They are thus partners of the project, the European Union, the Galp Foundation and UCCLA (Union of Capital Cities of the Portuguese Language). Other relevant stakeholders that support the implementation of the project are Guinean government, Petromar and the Municipality of Bissau.

The Galp Foundation funds the project with 10% of the cost and the EU with the remaining 90%, for a total of 1 million euros.

Print:

Share: